Medical Retrieval Consultants Paramedical Specialists
CareFlight is an Australian not-for-profit organization with over 30 years’ experience in aeromedicine. With bases in NSW and the NT’s Top End, there crews are dedicated to providing the highest standard of rapid response critical care to the ill and injured. There specially trained doctors, nurses and paramedics use helicopters, aeroplanes, medi-jets and road ambulances to bring a hospital level of care to and transport over 5,000 patients each year.
There diverse workforce is comprised of committed professionals with a drive to help save lives, speed recovery and serve the community.
CareFlight is seeking expressions of interest from critical care specialists interested in providing retrieval consultant services as part of expanding operations in the Top End of the Northern Territory. The position are based in Darwin.
Key responsibilities include:
- clinical prioritization 24/7 of all cases referred to CareFlight for aeromedical transport
- phone advice to referring sites and CareFlight retrieval registrars and nurses
- teaching of retrieval registrars and nurses
- participation in CareFlight’s continuing medical education, quality and safety processes; and
- specialist portfolio areas including research, equipment, quality and distaster.
To be successful in this role consultants must have a critical care fellowship (emergency medicine, anesthesia or intensive care). Pediatricians with critical care background will also be considered. Previous retrieval experience is preferred but full training in both retrieval and coordination will be provided to those without prior retrieval experience.
In addition to the above, you will also possess:
current Australian medical registration;
- completion of EMST or equivalent;
- extensive experience in the management of critically ill patients including trauma;
- the ability to safely adapt clinical practice to varied environments;
- basic physical fitness;
- the willingness and ability to successfully complete Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET);
- the ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures;
- the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- superior verbal and written communication skills; and
- skills in research, education, administration, equipment or other which may be developed into a portfolio of responsibility for CareFlight.
Positions will be based at the CareFlight Hangar in Darwin. Some participation in the flight roster is also required in order to maintain retrieval currency. Remuneration is equivalent to the NT Specialist’s Award.
There is no nominal one day per week appointment for a consultant to oversee clinical training. The position will be supported by a full-time nurse educator and CareFlight’s existing medical education personnel and systems.
CareFlight values diversity in the workplace.Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply.
All employees must comply with CareFlight’s Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP) as required
by CASA and may be subject to random workplace testing.
Criminal Record and Working With Children Checks also apply.
- 160916 – Introduction to the MRC role (Final).pdf
- 180227 – MRC (NT) Position Description.pdf
How to apply
If you would like to be part of the team, you can apply by using the link below. Please see attached full position description. Please ensure you submit a current resume and covering letter that addresses the role’s essential criteria. Applications for this opportunity are ongoing.Apply now for Medical Retrieval Consultants Paramedical Specialists Darwin NT -->