Becoming a Paramedic with the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) is to join the fourth largest ambulance service in the world.
QAS Paramedics provide the highest level of medical care, exemplifying incredible courage and compassion in the face of a variety of challenging emergency situations.
How do you get started?
Becoming a paramedic with the Queensland Ambulance Service is a sure pathway to an incredibly satisfying career.
It allows you to serve your local community with the acknowledgement and respect of being a member of Australia’s most trusted profession.
Here’s your starting point to becoming a Paramedic with the QAS:
(1) Meet the Eligibility Requirements
Here are the eligibility requirements to fulfil your dreams in becoming a Paramedic with the QAS:
- Ability to work in Australia
- Manual driver’s licence
- Qualification and current experience of practice to the level of a QAS Advanced Care Paramedic or higher (Qualified Paramedic Application only)
- Have a bachelor degree in the field of paramedic science from an Australian or New Zealand tertiary institution (Graduate Paramedic Application only)
There are also a number of assessments that applicants are required to take during the post-application phase of recruitment in order to meet the standards of the Queensland Ambulance Service.
- Performance and integrity validation
- Medical assessment
- Psychometric assessment
- Clinical assessment
- English language testing (if required)
- Australian criminal history check
- Traffic history report (if required)
- Health related fitness assessment (if required)
(2) Choose Your Pathway to becoming a paramedic with the Queensland Ambulance Service
There are essentially two main pathways available;
Graduate Paramedic Program
In order to be considered for the Graduate Paramedic Induction Program with the Queensland Ambulance Service, applicants need to complete a tertiary degree in paramedical health science from an Australian or New Zealand university.
(2) Have Your Current Paramedic Qualifications Assessed
If you’re a Qualified Ambulance Paramedic from inter-state or overseas, you may be eligible to apply for positions within the Queensland Ambulance Service.
However, you’ll be required to have your qualifications and experience assessed under the Recognition of Current Ambulance Practice (ROCAP) Panel process.
This ROCAP process evaluates an applicant’s paramedic experience, period in the pre-hospital care and emergency service positions, as well as educational training.
This may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Educational transcript/certified award
- Name of training institution and viewable syllabus
- Letter from previous employers confirming role and time of employment
- Official scope of practice and job role
Then you’re ready to complete an application
To apply with the Queensland Ambulance Service as a Paramedic, Emergency Service Dispatcher, Patient Transport Officer or Volunteer we suggest visiting the Queensland Ambulance Service website or emailing the QAS Recruitment Team: [email protected]
What to do next
Read this next post on how much you can earn as a paramedic in QueenslandBook your Queensland Paramedic Career Development coaching appointment here