HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health CareThe HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care is the new name for the now superseded HLT51015 Diploma of Paramedical Science. SkillsIQ, under the direction of the Ambulance and Paramedic IRC, have worked to update the HLT (Health) training scope of the HLT Training Package Products across the Vocational Education and Training sector. The HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health care name change is one of the HLT qualifications to be affected. However, the full suite of 7 existing Qualifications and associated Units of Competency will updated to bring them more in line with the demands of the job as well as to clearly separate VET qualifications in the paramedical education sector by terminology. Given the late 2018 legislation whereby anyone who wishes to be referred to as a Paramedic must hold the appropriate tertiary qualification (degree) and be registered via the Paramedicine Board of Australian and AHPRA, or be granted a ‘grandfathering’ right to be registered because of their work history.
Reasons for the update to the HLT training packagesA Case for Change (incl renaming HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science to HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health) was submitted by SkillsIQ, because of a request by the Ambulance and Paramedic Industry Reference Committee (IRC), to the Australian Industry and Skills Council (AISC) in 2018, seeking to undertake an update of the nationally recognised Prehospital and Out-of-hospital Training Package Products included in the HLT Health Training Package. This Case for Change was subsequently approved by the Australian Industry and Skills Council. Updates to the following health care qualifications and Units of Competency have been approved:
APC training courses.
- HLT31115 Certificate III in Non-Emergency Patient Transport Superseded by HLT31120 – Certificate III in Non-emergency Patient Transport
- HLT41115 Certificate IV in Health Care Superseded by HLT41120 – Certificate IV in Health Care
- HLT51015 Diploma of Paramedical Science. Superseded by HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care
Non-APC training courses.
- HLT21015 Certificate II in Medical Service First Response
- HLT31015 Certificate III in Ambulance Communications (Call-taking)
- HLT31215 Certificate III in Basic Health Care
- HLT41015 Certificate IV in Ambulance Communications (Dispatch)