Call us: 07 5520 2522
HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care
Become a Basic Life Support Medic and save lives.
Complete this course online in 12-18 months
HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care
- Basic Life Support Medic (BLS) – sometimes referred to as Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Patient Transport Officer
- Transport, aviation or maritime medic
- Industrial medic (mining, construction, manufacturing, oil & gas)
- Private company medic (Australia and international)
- Australian defense force medic
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Call Centre)
This is a fully supported online course, with clinical workshops, extensive live scenario training, virtual lectures, live Q&A with tutors and students.
Reasons to study this course
Nationally Recognised Training
The HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care is the industry-recognised, pre-hospital emergency health care qualification and a stepping stone into the Diploma of Paramedical Science.
Pre-hospital Life Support & Ambulance Driving
Studying the Certificate IV sets the foundation for private sector employment. Basic life support techniques are also covered in this qualification.
Transition into Advanced Health Care
With the Cert IV under your belt, it’s time to advance your skills in pharmacology, airway management, ECG interpretation, leadership and management.
You Can Make a difference
If you’ve ever wanted to make a difference and just help people, the Certificate IV qualification is well worth looking into.
The HLT41115 – Certificate IV pre-hospital emergency health care qualification means you can work in the emergency care health care private sector. With so many rewarding career opportunities as a medic, patient transport, industrial medic in oil & gas, mining, construction, aviation and even the maritime sector – it’s a perfect time to get started.
You can also work in your local community, as well as travel interstate where your qualifications are recognised. Enjoy the confidence that comes from knowing your skills and qualification means you can confidently administer emergency medical care (and saving lives) as a Basic Life Support Medic/First Responder.
This Certificate IV qualification will educate students in essential life support skills, develop clinical knowledge of biology, anatomy and pharmacology.
Your future is in our hands
The Australian Paramedical College is the largest pre-hospital emergency health care training provider in Australia. Although our reach and popularity is growing, we never lose sight of the fact that every student has our absolute attention at all times.
As part of the training and development package, students and graduates alike are provided with detailed information on where to find jobs. We will deliver to you, a solid plan to develop your future career because getting a job at the end of your training is a high priority.
Apply to Study the Certificate IV in Health Care
About this course
Scope of Practice
- taking vital signs, and offering basic life support
- basic airway management
- an introduction to 4 lead ECG monitoring and automatic defibrillation
- intramuscular injections
- oxygen therapies (including nebulised medications)
- Basic Life Support resuscitation
- basic drug management
- principles of pharmacology
Paramedic Clinical Instructors & Educators
Our focus is to educate support and mentor every student, instilling the confidence to assess and apply life-saving procedures in a real-life situation.
Our learning and development faculty are passionate about clinical education and have attained paramedic experience working in the ambulance and private sector.
At a higher education level, our team members have held academic appointments at Victoria University, the University of Tasmania and the University of Southern Queensland.
At the Australian Paramedical College you will be mentally and physically prepared for what lies ahead. To achieve this, your attendance at the 1 week clinical workshop is where you gain the confidence to operate equipment and test your critical thinking skills.
Clinical workshops are situated at our paramedic training campuses on the Gold Coast, in New South Wales, Victoria and Perth.
Whilst attending the training campus, your confidence soars as you naturally apply what you’ve learned along the way. We know from experience after completing the workshops and taking part in the many simulated scenarios, you will definitely feel more determined than ever to achieve your goal to to work in out-of-hospital emergency health care.
Upon completion of this course, you will possess high-level knowledge and life-saving skills of a Basic Life Support (BLS) medic. When the time comes, you will have the skills, knowledge and confidence to apply life-saving treatment when needed.
A requirement to complete this course is to complete 80 hours of clinical placement activities (work experience). The Australian Paramedical College can assist with this, as we have existing relationships and agreements with paramedical service providers. These companies specialise in providing medics for large events and concerts to transporting non-acute patient to and from hospital, doctors surgeries and home.
Clinical placement does not occur until after a few months of study, so there’s plenty of time to arrange this.
Requirements before you can commence clinical placement;
- We recommend you have a current first aid certificate
- You must have completed all modules of training leading up to our Clinical Workshop 1
- You must have been deemed competent in every simulated workplace practical demonstration in Clinical Workshop 1.
AQF level 4
Australian Quality Framework summary
Graduates of the HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care will possess theoretical and practical knowledge and skills for specialised and/or skilled work and/or further learning.
Knowledge: Graduates at this level will have broad factual, technical and some theoretical knowledge of a specific area or a broad field of work and learning.
Skills: Graduates at this level will have a broad range of cognitive, technical and communication skills to select and apply a range of methods, tools, materials and information to:
- Complete routine and non-routine activities, and
- Provide and transmit solutions to a variety of predictable and sometimes unpredictable problems.
Application of knowledge and skills: Graduates at this level will apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy, judgement and limited responsibility in known or changing contexts and within established parameters.
Help, Support and Motivation
What makes the Australian Paramedical College different from other training providers is the unlimited support you receive from your clinical assessors and in-house student success team. Our energetic and highly skilled support team are based on the Gold Coast and are ready to take your calls and questions whenever you need it.
What our students say about their APC experience;
“I couldn’t be happier with the college”
“I could not have imagined a more supportive team”
“I have learned more than I had ever hoped through the high level teaching”
“Incredible scenarios, practicing using real equipment”
“Without your guidance support and encouragement I wouldn’t have made it this far!”
“The trainers were amazing- all of them”
“Everyone I’ve dealt with at APC has been exceptional”
We will also connect you with other students via the private APC Facebook group. Everyone on the forum shares the same ideals, values and goals as you do. It’s the perfect way to grow your confidence, learn faster and build your network of connections.
You will also receive:
- Time management techniques to keep your study on track.
- Information about our Mental Health for Paramedics program.
- Study tips to get the most out of online learning, and
- Self-care tips to maintain high-levels of course progression
- Basic Life Support Medic (BLS) – sometimes referred to as Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
- Patient Transport Officer.
- Transport, aviation or maritime medic.
- Industrial medic (mining, construction, manufacturing, oil & gas).
- Private company medic (Australia and international).
- Australian defense force medic.
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Call Centre), and
- Note: this qualification does not allow you to work as a Paramedic with a State Ambulance Service. You need a Bachelor of Paramedic Science for this
You are Smart Enough
We believe that becoming a medic or paramedic should not be exclusive. Regardless of your educational achievements to date, we encourage you to apply.
The HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care qualification has helped hundreds of people who thought they were not smart enough, gain the confidence they needed to step into a pre-hospital emergency medical response role.
View the units for the HLT41115 – Certificate IV in Health Care qualification here
Begin your application to study
- Complete the application to study form.
- Your application to study and interview results are reviewed by a selection panel.
- If successful, a formal offer will be made to study at the College
[*should you be successful at the interview stage, approval for minimal weekly payments can be endorsed]
- Student acceptance
- Confirmation of enrolment