APC graduates tell us how many credits they received.
- “Central Queensland University will give you 7 subject credits.”
- “Edith Cowan University (WA) credit 7 subjects with the diploma.”
- “I had my credit assessment finished and received 6 Subjects at Charles Sturt Uni and they said it would take off roughly a semester.”
- “University of Tasmania conversion program will credit 10 units with the Diploma via the 53C Bachelor of Paramedic Practice”.
Please note: the information is subject to change. Make sure you check with your chosen university first.
APC student success stories
Australian Paramedical College graduates have established new precedents in pre-hospital emergency health care education by using the HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science (superseded by the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care) to enter university.
Graduates are well-positioned to comfortably manage the demanding university curriculum of lectures, online study, lectures, face-to-face clinical scenarios and assessments. They posses the ability to balance their lifestyle needs with the demands of university study; making their lives more enjoyable and less stressful. This has been achieved because the study and work experience gained from studying the diploma has given them the confidence and skill to tackle university life head on.
APC graduates who study at university are also taking on the role of supporting and mentoring other students who may have no previous knowledge of the paramedic scope of practice; and this is something APC are truly proud of.
There are 2 pathways to getting a paramedical degree;
- Direct entry into university (3 years full-time study or 3-6 years part-time); or
- VET sector qualification – for example, the Diploma of Paramedical Science
There are two degree formats;
- A Bachelor of Paramedic Science; and
- A conversion degree for those who hold existing diploma qualifications and have proven experience working as a medic/ first responder or ‘paramedic’. (see UTAS conversion degree)
Are all universities equal?
APC diploma graduates have previously been credited for multiple subjects of the degree. This often shortens the study time frame of the degree, whilst allowing them to work in the health care industry whilst studying.
The subjects credited differ depending on the content structure of the degree. This can be subject to change as some universities have different entry requirements. We recommend you check with your chosen university first.
These universities offer the Bachelor of Paramedic Science:
- Central Queensland University (CQU) – Bachelor of Paramedic Science
- Edith Cowan University (ECU) – Bachelor of Science (Paramedical Science)
- Charles Sturt University (CSU) – Bachelor of Paramedicine
- University of Tasmania (UTAS) – Bachelor of Paramedic Practice 53A
- Victoria University (VU) – Bachelor of Paramedicine
What Our Students Say
We asked some of our graduates to tell us in their own words about their personal experiences with universities. The information supplied by our students, although accurate at the time, is subject to change. APC recommends contacting your preferred university to enquire about diploma to degree pathways.
“It (the Diploma) would roughly take off a semester.”
- “ECU credit 7 subjects with the diploma.”
- “CSU offers 6 units of credit for the diploma.”
- “I had my credit assessment finished and received 6 Subjects at Charles Sturt Uni.”
- “CQU will give you 7 subjects credit, but it’s still 3 years unfortunately.”
- “University of Tasmania Conversion program. 53C Bachelor of Paramedic Practice – 10 units after completing the diploma”.
- “It’s 192 points for the degree at CSU in total. I’m doing distance study with CSU and they said it would take off roughly a semester.
“I received quite a bit of credit.”
- Emily – “I received quite a bit of credit. I have 6 subjects off and pending 3 more”.
- Rowan – “Just got accepted into Charles Sturt University in Port Macquarie for a Bachelors of Paramedicine. You get 48 credits of RPL for your diploma. It works out to be roughly a semester.”
- Bec – “It depends entirely on the Uni and how they recognise the diploma and fit the units into their own course structure. Last time it was discussed I think general consensus was that CQU recognised the diploma significantly more than anywhere else.”
- Alexandre – “I’m in NSW as well and I know UTAS and CSU both give RPL for the diploma. I think they take about a year off.”
- Alan – “ECU credit 7 subjects with the diploma.”
- “On my first University placement with QUT and evidently my Diploma from ACP has served me well, with the comments that I am doing better than a lot of third year students. Getting heaps if experience and LOVING IT!”
- David – “So excited! Finished my Diploma of Paramedical Science (superseded by the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care) in 9 months and just got an Offer to Study a Bachelor of Paramedicine with Charles Sturt Uni.”
- “I also have the option now of working as a qualified diploma medic while I complete my study, So all in all I’m glad I chose this pathway, I also hadn’t finished school so the diploma helped me in to uni and credits gave me almost a full year off university.”
- “I know UTAS and CSU both give RPL for the diploma. I think they take about a year off.”
- “Bathurst (Charles Sturt) recognises the diploma and I get heaps units off.”
“That’s a long time off the degree.”
- “ECU (Western Australia) students have been getting through the graduate entry program rather than SAO (student ambulance officer), and you can get RPL with ECU.”
- “Yeah as a graduate rather than the usual SAO (student ambulance officer) entry which used to be like the only way in.”
- “CQU will give you 7 units, but they require you to complete the basic units to be able to go out on practical placement.”
An undergraduate perspective – CSU offers 6 units of credit for the diploma.
“the diploma helped me get into uni.”
“I see people always asking about what university credits they will get from the diploma, So I just want to share my experience with APC, I had my credit assessment finished and received 6 Subjects at Charles Sturt Uni. In perspective, that’s almost a full year of university but it was done at my leisure, and a good intro back to study.”
“I also have the option now of working as a qualified diploma medic while I complete my study, So all in all I’m glad I chose this pathway, I also hadn’t finished school so the diploma helped me into uni.”, APC student.
University of Tasmania Conversion program
Anyone who is working in a front line role (medic, mining ESO, ambulance service etc.) is highly encouraged to review the University of Tasmania (UTAS) Conversion program. UTAS offers the conversion degree for those who possess the Diploma of Paramedical Science (superseded by the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care) and are working in the sector.
“53C Bachelor of Paramedic Practice. 10 units credit after graduating with an APC Diploma…need I say more. Again, a requirement is that you are already in the field.” – Nathan
Requirements to become a Paramedic
- A Bachelor of Paramedic Science is required to work as a Registered Ambulance Paramedic/Officer.
- Paramedics (current and new) in Australia are required to register with the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme by way of the Paramedicine Board of Australia.
- Paramedic registration is managed through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Persons who possess a Diploma of Paramedical Science (superseded by the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care) can apply for registration.
Further readingHow much does a university degree cost? Diploma of Paramedical Science (superseded by the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care)
University Pathways Guide – Create Your Personalised Plan