Healthy food ideas for paramedics on the go!
Paramedics work long shifts, with unpredictable break times, and are always on the go. If they don’t prepare healthy food, petrol stations or fast food will be their source of lunch, and there aren’t many healthy options there.
Paramedics are busy so it’s important for them to fill up on healthy food that is quick, easy, filling, and non-drowsy.
Here are 5 healthy food ideas for paramedics:
- Rice & Bean Burritos | Burritos are an excellent, filling, healthy food, that you can make in bulk and freeze! Freeze them in individual portions so you can grab one to take on your shift. This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make bulk burritos: Rice & Bean Freezer Burritos Recipe | EatingWell
- Overnight oats | Overnight oats are simple, easy and only take 5 minutes to make and require no actual cooking! Just mix the ingredients together the night/day before your shift, and let it all This recipe includes the added protein of peanut butter and the superfood chia seeds: Peanut Butter Overnight Oats (5 Ingredients!) | Minimalist Baker Recipes
- Cucumber and carrot sticks with hummus | Simple, effective, and definitely healthy – preparing some cucumber and carrot sticks is a must for paramedics who are looking for healthy food on the go!
- Homemade protein bars | Muesli or protein bars can be eaten quickly between calls on a busy shift and aren’t as hard to make as you might think. This recipe is only 5 ingredients and requires no baking: 5-Ingredient Protein Bars (no-bake!) | Chew Out Loud
- Soup in a quality thermos | A good thermos will keep soup warm for quite a few hours. You can choose your favourite soup, but ones loaded with vegetables will keep you fuller for longer.
In the warm Australian climate, it’s also recommended to invest in a good, insulated lunch box with purpose fit ice packs, to keep your food fresher for longer.
Remember, everyone benefits from your healthy eating, not just you, but your patient, family and friends. Paramedics need to stay fit and healthy in order to respond the demands of the job, so we hope these 5 healthy food ideas are helpful (and yummy!)
Study pre-hospital emergency health care qualifications online at APC; with the aid of clinical workshops as well as online and phone support from trainers and educators. Enjoy unlimited access to a student success team who are always ready to help and assist. Although paramedical courses can be studied online; APC fosters a vibrant and passionate community that encourages students to engage and help one another.
Choose from three pre-hospital emergency health care qualifications.